WP Google Maps Error
HISTORY OF THE GEORGIA UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
We are located in northwestern Vermont (about twenty miles north of Burlington and seven miles south of St. Albans on Ethan Allen HWY. old route 7 with an easy access from Interstate 89 (exit 18).
Situated a few miles from Lake Champlain to the west and about twenty-five miles from the Green Mountains to the east, our church roots go deep in Vermont and Methodist history. Georgia was one of the seven points on the Milton Circuit when it was formed in 1829.The first Methodist minister known to have preached in Georgia was the Rev. Benjamin Hitchcock who was appointed to Milton Circuit in 1830-31, with the Rev. William Richards serving as Jr. Preacher.
In 1842, Georgia became a separate charge within the Troy Conference under the leadership of the Rev. George McKillips. However, records indicate that it was in 1848, that the first brick church was built at Georgia Center. In the Vermont Conference Minutes of 1893, under the report of O.M.Boutwell, presiding Elder of the St.Albans District, we find the entry concerning our present structure.
“The church at Georgia has become weakened in its foundations and must soon be rebuilt. Subscriptions amounting to nearly $1400 have been secured for that purpose. Our brethren of that place are hoping and expecting a new church in the near future. Six new horse-sheds have been built at this point this year.”
Again, in the minutes of 1894,we read:
“At Georgia, also, a new church will be erected, and $3000 has been subscribed for that purpose. We predict for these people some of the neatest church edifices to be fond upon the District.”
Finally, in the minutes of 1895:
Two new churches have been built. The beautiful stained glass window that still adorns the back of the church sanctuary is in memory of Edward Martin and his wife, Fidelia. Edward was a class leader from 1856 until he died in 1879.